Wildlife Hospital Internships
WildCare offers unpaid internships in our Wildlife Hospital during the spring and summer months. Interns have the opportunity to work hands-on with our wild patients and gain extensive experience learning from our medical staff.
Click for the online Internship Application.
Terms of Internship
- Internships are scheduled for a consecutive 12-week period with potential start-dates in May, June and July.
- Interns commit to a minimum of 24 hours a week in our wildlife hospital. All interns will sign a commitment contract.
- A typical Intern’s schedule is two 8-hour weekdays and one 8-hour weekend day, but this schedule is flexible for the right candidate. Term start and end dates may also be flexible for the right candidate.
- Any potential absences must be scheduled BEFORE term begins and be included in an Intern’s commitment contract. One sick day is allowed per term.
- We do not currently have paid internship opportunities available in the wildlife hospital.
- We do not provide housing or transportation.
2020 Internship Terms
– April – June – Applications not accepted after March 1
– May – July Applications not accepted after April 1
– June – August Applications not accepted after May 1
– August – September Applications not accepted after July 1
– September – November Applications not accepted after October 1
Expectations and Responsibilities of Interns
All interns will receive a manual to supplement their learning experience that will be returned at the end of their internship.
Weekly modules will be assigned for reading and discussion. A final exam will be given at the completion of the intern’s session.
Interns will be involved in all aspects of patient care including but not limited to triage, medical examinations, participating in lab work (radiographs, bloodworm, and fecals), dosing and administering medications, splinting, and handling and restraint.
All interns are expected to attend any training classes that are held at WildCare, however, these are not mandatory.
All interns must read and sign required paperwork and a commitment contract.
As interns are considered unpaid staff, they are expected to adhere to their schedule as such. Interns are allowed one sick day during the term. Any vacation time must be agreed upon BEFORE contracts are signed and term has begun. All hours
missed will need to be supplemented by the end of the internship