Wildlife Hospital Internships
WildCare offers unpaid internships in our Wildlife Hospital during the spring and summer months. Interns have the opportunity to work hands-on with our wild patients and gain extensive experience learning from our medical staff.
Click for the Intern Position Description.
Looking to intern in our Volunteer Department instead? Click here.
Terms of Internship
- Internships are scheduled for a consecutive 12-week period with potential start-dates in May, June and July.
- Interns commit to a minimum of 24 hours a week in our wildlife hospital. All interns will sign a commitment contract.
- A typical Intern’s schedule is two 8-hour weekdays and one 8-hour weekend day, but this schedule is flexible for the right candidate. Term start and end dates may also be flexible for the right candidate.
- Any potential absences must be scheduled BEFORE term begins and be included in an Intern’s commitment contract. One sick day is allowed per term.
- We do not currently have paid internship opportunities available in the wildlife hospital.
- We do not provide housing or transportation.
2019 Internship Terms
May through July – Applications not accepted after April 1
June through August – Applications not accepted after May 1
July through September – Applications not accepted after June 1
Expectations and Responsibilities of Interns
- All interns will receive a manual to supplement their learning experience. Weekly modules will be assigned for reading and discussion. A final exam will be given at the completion of the intern’s session.
- Interns will be involved in all aspects of patient care. In addition, each intern will be assigned a minimum of one individual patient that is solely their responsibility.
- All interns are required to attend Volunteer Supervisor and Medical Staff meetings.
- All interns are expected to attend any training classes that are held at WildCare, however, these are not mandatory.
- All interns must read and sign required paperwork and a commitment contract.
- As interns are considered unpaid staff, they are expected to adhere to their schedule as such. Interns are allowed one sick day during the term. Any vacation time must be agreed upon BEFORE contracts are signed and term has begun.
- Upon successful completion of the program and final exam, interns will be eligible for written personal references from WildCare medical staff.